“For me, the name Little Pearls Dentistry is not just a cute or catchy name. It's a philosophy that encompasses all that we do. We want our patients to have the healthiest and brightest smiles possible. We also think of our patients as ‘little pearls,’ to be valued for all their special and unique qualities.” – Dr. Gazori
At Little Pearls Dentistry, we consider it part of our job to help children feel safe. Gentle care and praise are all that some children need to develop the confidence and coping skills to be outstanding helpers. We also encourage the reassuring presence of parents in the treatment room as it usually helps children feel more safe and secure.
We are keenly aware that each child has individual medical, dental, and emotional needs, and we work to balance these needs in his or her care.
We are driven to care for your child’s overall health and well-being as holistically as possible. To help accomplish this we:
- stress the prevention of cavities through dietary and snacking recommendations and controls
- do not prescribe fluoride supplements. Although we feel the topical use of fluoride products is beneficial, we are unsure about the safety and effectiveness of supplements
- use cleaning paste that is dye free and gluten free
- the filling material we use for most cavities is the newest and most biocompatible filling material available
- use non-toxic wipes for cleaning surfaces
- do not use sprays or toxic cleaning materials
- are very conservative in our use of radiographs (x-rays). We do not take unnecessary x-rays
- do not over-treat. We are very conservative with our recommendations
- use distilled water at each dental chair. The water is also treated with the same iodine purification process astronauts use for their drinking water. Water lines are tested for cleanliness
- verify effective sterilization of each batch of sterilized instruments through use of Class 5 strips
- dispense toothbrushes made in the United States
- advise using natural products and advise against products with harmful and unnecessary chemicals
- have had the office painted with only non-VOC (non-volatile organic compound) paint
Why choose Little Pearls Dentistry for Children for your little one?
Complimentary infant oral health program: Providing parents with infant oral health education will help their children maintain optimal dental health that will last a lifetime. We are excited to offer a complimentary infant oral health program to children younger than 12 months old and to expecting parents.
On-time guarantee: We know it is hard for a child to wait in the reception room and we know that time is valuable to our parents. If we make a child wait more than 15 minutes for his or her regularly scheduled appointment twice within the same calendar year, our office will give him or her a gift card equal to our broken appointment charge.
Patient rewards: Every child earns points that can be used to purchase a variety of gift cards. Points are earned for good brushing, being on time to appointments and a variety of other reasons.
Parents’ alcove: While children are being cared for, parents can enjoy the peace and comfort of our parents' alcove with coffee, reading material, and complimentary Wi-Fi.
Truly conservative treatment recommendations: We are practical in our recommendations and don't make recommendations we would not recommend for our own children. Also, our recommendations and treatment of your child will never be influenced by insurance benefits or limitations.
Our dental hygienists: Hygienists are specialists who have completed an additional, rigorous four years of college education after high school. During this training they study biology, chemistry, miocrobiology, dental anatomy, and a host of other subjects. They are also required to take continuing education courses to maintain thier state licensure. Most pediatric dental offices do not employ hygienists. Why is it important to have hygienists? First of all, it ensures that we are following the laws and regulations in the state of Virginia. In Virginia, dental assistants are allowed to polish the teeth but only hygienists and dentists are legally allowed to clean more thoroughly with insturments. Second of all, it ensures that your child who has needs greater than what an assistant can provide will be cared for to the highest standard by professionals with advanced training.
Advanced technology for safety and convenience: We utilize the best technology to streamline our patients' and parents' experience with us. Digital radiographs (X-rays) minimize exposure to radiation, appointment reminders are sent by email and text, and all insurance claims are sent electronically the same day the patient is seen. You also have the ability to create a patient log in account to view your account and upcoming appointments.
Nitrous oxide: For children with mild to moderate anxiety, nitrous oxide (laughing gas) is a safe and proven method to help kids feel more comfortable.
General anesthesia: For children who are too young to manage dental treatment, or for those whose sensory, emotional, and dental health needs are too great to be met with nitrous oxide, we offer in-office general anesthesia provided by board-certified anesthesiologists through Horizon Anesthesia.
Many practices will say that they will treat your child in a special way, as if he or she was their own child (sounds nice but not always true.) They will talk about the many services they provide and the technology they use. They may provide movies, games, and patient rewards. Many of these things are standard now. So we started to think of the tangible things we do that make us different. Some practices may do some of these things but it is unlikely any are doing all them.
- On-time guarantee. Have you ever heard of a physician or dentist with an on-time guarantee?
- We have hygienists on staff. Most pediatric dental offices do not. Only dentists or hygienists are allowed to scale (scrape) any plaque or tartar off.Scaling performed by anyone else is illegal.
- We have a baby exam room and a complimentary infant exam program.
- We do not have the “open bay” style of office where dental chairs are stacked next to each other in an open area. All our rooms are semi-private or private. We have tried hard to create a calming environment.
- We do not over-treat. We are very conservative with our recommendations. None of our recommendations are motivated by financial reasons.
- Kids are given report cards at each 6 month maintenance appointment.
- Written pre-operative information regarding what treatment has been recommended.
- Written post-operative instructions are given at restorative appointments for parents to refer back to after their child’s appointment.
- We provide complimentary practice visits for special needs kids.
- We only refer to specialists who share our philosophies. Our referrals are not based on any friendships, financial rewards, or gifts received by them.
- New hires undergo background searches.
- Yearly training OSHA/HIPAA.
- Up to date CPR training.
- On-site shredding service for sensitive material.
- We send appointment reminders by email and text.We pay a licensing fee to the Motion Picture License Company to show movies in the office.